Friday, July 10, 2009

In honor of her birthday -- A Project


It's that time again, Danya is fast approaching 2 years old. Last year I introduced you all to a project to give a little something to other families who find themselves in a surprising and stressful situation with a child in the NICU. Today I learned some of the benefits of the gift we gave last year. For some of the parents it is hard to allow themselves to bond with their baby because when they are so little and connected to what seems like hundreds of cords they really don't seem like a baby, but when the nurses are able to put a sleeper on the baby it changes the perspective a little and parents find it very comforting. Their baby no longer looks like a patient but they now look like the baby they've been waiting for. So thank you again for the gifts you gave last year. This year we are hoping to collect even more. Here is a list of items we are collecting this year:

Sleepers
-preferably with snaps so that the monitor cords can come out. Justborn, newborn, and preemie sizes
Booties- or newborn socks perhaps with a fun design.
Hats- simple newborn hats
Onesies - If you can sew and want to sew up some teeny onesies let me know and I will get you a pattern. Otherwise newborn or preemie onesies from the store.

Remember the NICU is a very sterile environment so a little color is a wonderful thing. I am so excited to share Jesus with these families in this way. If you want to include a little note of encouragement or a drawing by your kids for the baby who will be getting your gift please do. We want these families to feel the love of others near and far wrapped in these gifts.

For those of you on the mainland, if you live near my parents they will ship them together otherwise e-mail me and I will get you our address.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Do you prefer new sleepers, or can I send some that my daughter wore? Please email me and let me know... beccajac@gmail.com

Thanks!

Amber said...

That is a great Idea! Happy Birthday to your little one, what a mile stone! :)

Mommy, Daddy, and Me

Mommy, Daddy, and Me
These photos are from roughly the same age for each of us.