Tuesday, May 12, 2009

God is Good!

For those of you following me on Facebook you already know all about my Cancer scan, but for everyone here is the story of my scan. Two weeks ago I went to see my Endocrinologist. She told me she wanted me to do another thyroid cancer scan. It is a one year scan. If you pass this scan you don't have to have another one for at least 5 years. Okay, so no big deal right? Wrong. This scan was a big deal, it would require me to drive into town for 3 days in a row, and I would have to have a babysitter for the first 2 days for a couple hours and then on the 3rd day I couldn't have any contact with Danya for 24 hours then on the 5th day I would have to go back to town needing a baby sitter again for a 3 hour scan. It was crazy. We have friends who would have watched Danya I'm sure but it just isn't easy to coordinate all of that. So after talking with my Dr. again she decided I could do a different scan. This scan is a PET scan. It only meant one day of craziness. This scan is different in that it scans for all types of cancer not just thyroid. The other nice thing was they could get me in right away. I went on monday for my scan. When you arrive you are led into a tiny room with just a recliner in it. Once you go through lots of paperwork then he put an IV in and injected radioactive sugar. At this point I had a kind of scary episode. It was like I could feel the stuff moving up my arm and into my heart. I couldn't breathe good and I felt like someone was squeezing my heart, and I started seeing spots.. Naturally the panic that sets in at this point only increased the problem. The tech elevated my feet and called it some kind of reaction to needles. It's never happened before and I've been poked hundreds of times. Slowly it faded and I felt better although now I was really kinda panicy that they would find something bad. I had to lay still then and not use my muscles for one hour. I had brought a book thinking I could read while I waited but no such luck. After an hour it was time to change into those gorgeous hospital gowns. Then it was into the double doughnuts. This is a very boring time. You lay still and can't move. First they did just my neck and head, then they moved my arms above my head and did the whole body. At first I just shut my eyes and relaxed, then about half way through I had to go to the bathroom. I had been drinking a lot all day so that the radioactive material would flush through quickly so I didn't have to stay clear of Danya for as long. Anyway if I had been standing I would have been doing the potty dance. It was a long test that ended at the begining of rush hour. Lucky me. And with all that extra water all day the drive home wasn't so good either. When I got home I was feeling quite nauseous. The trouble is you can't eat anything all day and then they inject you with sugar. It's like when you were a kid and you didn't eat much for dinner on halloween and then you sneek candy the whole night. Yuck. I will tell you I felt soo much better after a good puke. It wasn't the original plan but it sure helped. I was planning on just laying down but I only made it half way to the room before changing course. So I didn't really eat dinner last night. Even though it was one of my favorites, I just didn't want to waste it if it would also come back.

Anyway 2 good things happened today as a result of all of that nonsense.
1. I lost 6 pounds because I didn't eat for 24 hours and all I drank was water.
2. I got a phone call this afternoon saying my scan was negative.
NO CANCER OF ANY KIND!!!!
Praise God!
Thankyou for all your prayers, it was definately something I couldn't have done without. I may gain those pounds back but cancer will not rule my life.

3 comments:

shana said...

That's wonderful! Praise God!

Waipahu CBDO dba Waipahu Community Coalition said...

congratulations! I knew you'd be cancer free! May God continue to bless you all always!

Kjersten said...

Yay! Congrats.

P.S. I've had that needle thing happen to me at the dentist once. it's spooky and yucky feeling.

Mommy, Daddy, and Me

Mommy, Daddy, and Me
These photos are from roughly the same age for each of us.