Thursday, April 2, 2009

Food

This post is a bit of a departure from the usual but here goes. The trouble with food allergies discovered late in life is that you know what you are missing. There is a whole treasure trove of food that I can't eat because soybeans are so stinking cheep. When John and I were still dating he sent me some crackers called skyflakes. If you have tried them you know they are really good for saltine style crackers. I went to a new market and discovered that the same company who brought us plain skyflakes also offers garlic flavored and onion and chive flavored skyflakes. I haven't tried them yet but I am excited at the prospect. The FITA crackers below are also made by the same company but they taste like ritz crackers. These are super yummy, especially since I haven't had ritz in 5 years now. They also make a butter cookie that is easily as good as the Royal Danish butter cookies that people always give away at Christmas but they are cheeper. Very good. Danya loved them.
Then there is this nummy. Subway is off limits and so is Jimmy Johns (but we don't even have that option really since there isn't one here. ) Anyway pre-allergy I loved the Jimmy John's Gargantuan. Especially when I was pregnant I would crave this sandwich. Too bad for me. Well after a bit of learning my bread making skills are very good now. I have a very fancy pan that makes perfect french rolls every time. Then it was just a matter of combining the perfect safe ingredients. Anyway I did it!!!! It tastes about perfect.
Now comes the hard part about all of these food discoveries.
Not over eating.
Because as my mom used to say "a moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips"

7 comments:

Gammlemor/Gammlefar said...

Actually, I think your Nana said that, but thanks for thinking of me. I should heed my own advice.

Laura said...

Oh I know Nana started it, but you said it plenty when I was addicted to M&M's and Doritos just after college.

J&M said...

I think I need to send Hung over to learn from a true master - I miss your cooking!

Melanie said...

Laura, The sandwich looks really good and I would love to have one right about now. Maybe I will have to settle for Jimmy Johns tomorrow.

Laura said...

No fair Mel! And so much for not over eating. I've gained 5 pounds this weekend. Oh, and the onion and chive crackers are soooo good. They are amazing in meatloaf too. Overeating see.

Nellie said...

I want to learn how to make my own bread! Where should I start Oh Bread Master?!

Laura said...

If you want all the tips and tricks I'll send them. It's taken some trial and error but it is good.

Mommy, Daddy, and Me

Mommy, Daddy, and Me
These photos are from roughly the same age for each of us.