Sunday, February 28, 2010

Freaking out!


If you are one of my facebook friends you already know that I spent a day completely freaking out this week, what you don't know is that it was actually a couple different days that made the whole problem worse. On Monday night I spent some time moving files to our big desktop computer, old reliable, to archive them. Then because my computer was moving slow I figured I could get them off of it, delete. The next morning I woke up and headed in to start the first cd burning. Black screen. Click ..... click... nothing. Oh the power is off. So I turn it on only to be greated by a dos error message. No problem we'll just force quit and try again. Yay! it worked. Just as I am barely into the copying process before the burning begins it shuts it's self off. NOT GOOD. So after switching computers and doing all kinds of reading online about the problem and totally freaking out at my daughter and my mom, I took it in to the Geek squad to have them rescue my photos. The price came up less than I was quoted on the phone, plus I was getting an external hard drive in the package. Perfect. 2 days later I get a phone call from the Geeks. The harddrive is inaccessable. It clunks, computers should not clunk. This is very bad. While still on the phone I start sobbing. I've just lost all of Danya's photos for the whole last year. Freaking out! Knowing my mom has been in this situation before I call her. She gently reminds me that a lot of those photos are on our photo site online, panic easing.(Thanks Mom.) The geeks said I could send it away and perhaps they could take it apart and extract the stuff, but the cost was out of this world. So while I am still angry at myself about it, and there will always be photos that I know I had that are gone, we have choosen to be glad it was just a computer that has died, and that we have kept you all up to date more or less on our lives. Without all of you wanting to keep up with us we really would have nothing. I know this story didn't have a happy ending like I originally thought it would, but one of the things I've discovered through this is that I have a choice. I can either keep freaking out or just be blessed that I do have some photos, especially knowing that those photos would be the cutest ones that I choose to share with you all anyway.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

1 comment:

Kjersten said...

Life is always better when we choose the path of gratitude. Great post Laura. And thank goodness for your blog.

Mommy, Daddy, and Me

Mommy, Daddy, and Me
These photos are from roughly the same age for each of us.