Thursday, December 11, 2008

Heritage

The question that gets asked a lot when you first get married is what traditions will you carry into your new family. I guess that is still evolving, but what I do know is that learning about what cultural traditions are a part of our history so that we can pass on those traditions. With Danya around I think in amplifies those desires. I want her to be well versed in her cultural heritage. Dec. 13th is one of those days. December 13th is Santa Lucia day. It is a day to celebrate a woman who lived in first century Rome and gave her dowry to the Christians hiding in the catacombs, and brought them food. She was killed as the result of a jealous wanna be husband turning her over to the authorities. She was a Christian and because of the time she was ministering most likely fed Paul and John. I admit I didn't know much more than durring the Christmas season the oldest girl in the house dresses in white and serves her family breakfast. There is so much more to know. Santa Lucia day is celebrated throughout Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland each year. When I was growing up in a swedish lutheran church we celebrated it every year but I never learned all that much.



Well anyway, this morning Danya and I were up before John, like most saturdays, and we got coffee ready and served John in bed. She is not carrying the real coffee, she has a plastic mug that is empty. Her Dress is Hawaiian print and the design is inspired by the Mu'u Mu'us worn here. The wreath is also tropical foliage and poinsettias. She was so adorable. She had a battery operated candle too but that didn't last long. She was too curious and it broke, into lots of tiny pieces I might add.

No comments:

Mommy, Daddy, and Me

Mommy, Daddy, and Me
These photos are from roughly the same age for each of us.